Mammography is the process of using low-energy-X-rays (usually around 30 kVp) to examine the human breast and is used as a diagnostic and a screening tool. The goal of mammography is the early detection of breast cancer, typically through detection of characteristic masses and/or microcalcifications.
Ultrasound, ductography, positron emission mammography (PEM), and magnetic resonance imaging are adjuncts to mammography. Ultrasound is typically used for further evaluation of masses found on mammography or palpable masses not seen on mammograms. MRI can be useful for further evaluation of questionable findings as well as for screening pre-surgical evaluation in patients with known breast cancer to detect any additional lesions that might change the surgical approach, for instance from breast-conserving lumpectomy to mastectomy.
The American Cancer society recommends women get a mammogram every year after the age of 50 and continue annual exams after the age of 75 if you have a life expectancy of 10 years or more.
Memorial Hospital is pleased to offer our patients the Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam.
Our Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam, available on a Selenia® Dimensions® system from Hologic, is revolutionizing how breast cancer is detected by providing a better option for women of all breast densities compared to 2D alone.1-2 Researchers have found that:
• The Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam finds 20-65% more invasive breast cancers compared to 2D alone, an average increase of 41%.3
• Only the Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam is FDA approved as superior for women with dense breasts compared to 2D alone.1-2
• The Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam reduces callbacks by up to 40% compared to 2D alone.2,4
More than 8 million Genius™ exams have been performed in the U.S, and women have responded very positively to this procedure. According to a recent survey of women who received a Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam and had previously had a traditional 2D exam5:
• 98% of patients feel more confident and secure in their results from a Genius™ exam
• 93% of patients reported feeling less anxious with Genius™ exams than with traditional 2D Mammography
• 91% of patients agree the quality of care provided by the facility was better with a Genius™ exam; and
•94% of patients are likely to request a Genius™ exam for their next mammogram
For additional information about the Genius™ 3D Mammography™ call us at 618-826-4581.